Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21st Assignment

Dr. Alice Christie's website shows that she is a woman who is fully equipped with technology literacy. There is a tab that shows her workshops and encourages you to 'plan yours now'! I visited the classes tab where it shows the different classes that she teaches at the university. Just scanning the page at first, it shows the many classes that she teaches and obviously how she is the woman to go to to learn about certain areas of technology. I clicked on a few other tabs on the classes page to check out the individual classes. One was a Technology Integration Methods class and the other was an Internet and Communication Technology class.
Each class has different pages to view the information of the class (syllabus, course schedule, class resources, ect). I checked out the Course Schedule page of the Technology Integration Methods class and found a detailed list of what she had planned for that course at the time. She has many demonstration lessons for a lot of the programs on computers like Powerpoint, Word, and Publisher. It would be nice to learn some of the programs (if I needed to) that I don't know how to work, but it would be a really boring presentation if she went over how to use Word. I checked out the syllabus page on the Internet and Communication Technology tab. It gave her contact info, the description of the course, her objectives for the course along with other facts about the class.


For the iTunes University section of my post, the site listed on the assignment page directed me to a page that was deleted or no longer exists.


http://www.principalspartnership.com/iPods.pdf
I visited the site just above and found out some interesting facts about iPods in recent research at universities. It asks the question 'What does research say about using iPods for instruction?'. It states that iPods are deconstructing the border between education and entertainment. I believe that to be true, since many people own an iPod. Even those who don't own an iPod, like myself, still own some type of mP3 player that can play video or even record sound. IPods are definitely useful and used in the classroom, if the teachers know it or now, and are getting more and more advanced with each passing year.
Another part about this site talks about the actual research done on iPods at certain universities. Some universities that were mentioned are Brown, Standford, and University of Michigan. It talks about how an increasing number of professors are experimenting with their lectures and study materials using iPods. They use them by having their lectures and study materials available to the students through iPods of other mP3 players. This is so that if a student misses a lecture or doesn't understand a certain part of the lecture, they can fast forward or rewind to better understand the material. I like the idea of being able to listen to lectures on my mP3 player when I wasn't able to attend class, or study with the live version of lecture playing, but it seems like it would take up a lot of space on my mP3 player.

1 comment:

  1. Well, first of all, I just wanted to say that your blog page is really pretty!

    This was a great post. I wish some of our professors would create podcast of their lectures so I could listen to them on my iPod if I missed a day of class. I think that's a very useful tool.

    ReplyDelete